Jake and Brett continue their book study series on Fathered By God by John Eldredge by discussing the richness of the masculine journey and being a son of God the Father.
“We aren’t meant to figure life out on our own. God wants to father us. The truth is, he has been fathering us for a long time – we just haven’t had the eyes to see it. He wants to father us much more intimately, but we have to be in a posture to receive it.” (Fathered by God, p. 11)
- Men are notorious for doing life on their own. We aren’t meant to do life on their own.
- We are not fully men yet. There’s a way to become a man. God wants to father us into men.
- The difficulties in life are an invitation to lean into the Heavenly Father
- Our immediate distress in a situation might only reveal itself in another situation where we overreact.
- We often feel the triple threat: I am alone, I don’t know how, I have to get it right
- So many men struggle with feeling like an imposter
- When we are honest and get underneath the surface, it’s very common to feel like an imposter
- A self-made man isn’t all it’s praised to be
- Secular salvation schema is the cultural pressure to save ourselves
- John Eldredge has put his finger on the broken and redemptive state of men
- Passivity and masculinity are mutually exclusive
- God is a God of process, not a drive-thru God
- God is not bound by our earthly fathers and God will father us directly and personally
- Ideally we create a space that we and the men around us can be unfinished men under intentional construction and renovation by the Father
- We can start by: 1. Repenting 2. Admitting our need for fathering 3. Accepting our need for fathering
- There is nothing more important in a man’s life that to receive sonship
- “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Jeremiah 6:16)
- What struck you from this episode?
- When you notice the “imposter syndrome” what do you do? Do you respond as an orphan? As a son?
- Are you open to being Fathered? How do you know? Where do you see that?
- What would it look like to have a space were we can be unfinished men under intentional construction and renovation by the Father?
- Can you say this honestly, “I don’t want to live fatherless anymore.” ?
- Joe Rogan Experience #1365 – Cameron Hanes
- Patrick Carnes’ Books
- Surrender Novena – Fr. Dolindo
- Article Jake references around minute 29:00
Purchase Fathered By God